Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Why the music?

Amelia blogged some interesting thoughts on music. And so I am going to throw out something that I have always wondered. Why do we like the music that we like? I have such a different variety from Metallica to Country to Mozart in my CD collection. What are the possibilities for liking the music we like? Do we like the music we like because: we are conditioned to like the music through association of events or emotions? Certain songs remind us of an event or emotion that we want to relive or feel again? Is it anatomical and the certain meter and rhythmns of songs come together to vibrate the cochlea in the inner ear just at the right frequency? Is the type of music learned from the parents or some other way, Nature or Nurture? Is there really any pattern or is it just random in the way we like music? It would be interesting to hear of everyone's thoughts..........

4 Comments:

At 7:14 AM, Blogger Amberae said...

Good to see you blogging, Richard. I dunno why people like different music. I'm not feeling on the creative side of the world today.

just know... i love iron and wine.

 
At 7:08 AM, Blogger Amelia Chesley said...

yo richard.
how's it going?

all those big words about music and the ears made me happy to read.

:)

 
At 5:21 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

Music is such a powerful tool! It can make you cry, it can bring the spirit, it can make the spirit leave, it can make you want to do a happy dance, and it can make you have a myriad of other feelings from anger to hope. I like such a huge variety of music. It'd would be so interesting to research more about it. I have no doubt that music was a part of our lives before we came to earth. I can't imagine Heaven without music. Hmmm...interesting thoughts.

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger T.J. said...

I'm glad your on board my friend. Music? I pretty much like anything I can shake my booty too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home